English Language Teaching Assistants in Metropolitan France [fr]
This program is designed to give students the opportunity to discover a new region and culture by working alongside an English teacher in a French school environment. It is not aimed at experienced teachers, and whether or not candidates intend to become language teachers, it is a fantastic opportunity to gain seven months of international professional experience.
This program is open to students of all disciplines who can demonstrate competence in French, and who are seeking to increase their linguistic and cultural proficiency.
Tasks to be carried out by the assistant include:
- Participating in language training for students in and out of class. Leading study on themes of civilization and, in general, aiming to interest students and teachers in the language and culture of Australia.
- Providing help in the classroom with oral and written English for small groups of students. Working either with a teacher in their class, or leading a variety of exercises with a small group of students, or conducting a variety of activities outside of school hours, accompanying the teachers. The assistant will be expected to organise oral expression activities on their own with small groups of students or to work alongside the supervising teacher with the whole class. The assistant’s timetable may be shared between up to three schools.
- Providing linguistic and cultural assistance to teachers. The assistant can help the teachers on many extra occasions : visits, exchanges, exhibitions, drama groups, publication of a newspaper, school correspondence, club activities, creation of didactic material.
- Making recordings on tape for the audio-visual resources of the school’s library. The assistant is advised to bring supporting materials (newspaper articles, magazines, video, poetry, songs, tourist documents, printed matter related to everyday life).
A seven month contract from October 1 2021 until April 30 2022.
A 12 hour per week schedule.
Primary School Working with children aged 8 to 11.
Secondary School Working with students aged 11 to 18.
Gross monthly allowance: € 976.49
Net monthly allowance: around € 780
- In the application, candidates are given the opportunity to express their preferred region and level of teaching (primary or secondary). Please be aware that you may be placed in more than one school in your region.
NB: Although every effort will be made to accommodate requests for preferred region, we cannot guarantee placement.
- The assistant is responsible for travel to and from France, as well as accommodation costs. Some schools may be able to offer support in suggesting accommodation.
- For further practical information, please visit France Education International’s website.
Candidates must be Australian citizens. Permanent residents are not eligible.
Candidates must be between 20 and 35 years of age on 1 October 2021.
Candidates must have completed their secondary education in Australia.
Candidates must be enrolled at an Australian university or be recently graduated at the time of application. Candidates must have completed at least two years of university studies.
A minimum Level B1 in French is required (see the Cadre européen commun de références pour les langues).
Candidates must be native English speakers.
Candidates should preferably be single.
After placement offer, successful candidates will be required to submit a National Police Check dated no older than three months.
Applications are now open and close 21 February 2021.
Click here to download the application file. The file must be downloaded and filled out using Adobe Acrobat PDF reader.
Please send your completed application file to email@example.com.
NB: DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS PROGRAM if you are intending on visiting France for any reason alternative to a contract as a language assistant. While we do our best to take into account your indicated preferences for region, we cannot guarantee the location of your placement.
DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS PROGRAM if you do not intend to follow through with the contract. Before applying, you must be sure that your current situation permits your activities in France for the entire period indicated. If your circumstances change at any moment after submitting your application, and put you at risk of having to withdraw, you MUST inform the Embassy immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation of an appointment, except for valid medical or family reasons (certificate required) will disqualify the candidate from applying the following year.