Teaching Assistants - FAQ

When will applications open?
- Metropolitan France: Applications generally open around January for a contract beginning in October of the same calendar year.
- New Caledonia / Wallis+Futuna: Applications generally open around July for a contract beginning in March of the next calendar year.

I’ve never done a DELF test and I’m not sure what my official French level is. Can I still apply?
- Yes. Your French teachers will be able to identify your French level on their appraisal forms.

I’m not currently enrolled at uni. Can I still apply?
- The language assistants program run by France Education International through the Embassy of France is aimed specifically at university students. In some cases you may still be able to apply if you have recently graduated or are between degrees – please contact education.canberra-amba@diplomatie.gouv.fr to verify your eligibility.

I’m not sure I’ll be available for the period indicated. Can I still apply?
- No. Before applying for the program, you must verify that you will be available for the entire period of the contract – these dates cannot be changed. If you withdraw at any time after submitting an application, you will be disqualified from reapplying.
- Verify that you are able to defer your university course if your application is successful
- Verify that you have sufficient finances to support yourself for seven months
- Verify that your family and job situation will allow you to be away for seven months
- You may also want to check whether you could get credit for the program towards your degree as a bonus
- If you are graduating soon, consider deferring your award conferral until after you apply.

How likely is it that I will get placed in my city of preference?
- Your preference for a region will certainly be considered in your successful application and your placement within an académie, who then receive your dossier.
However we cannot guarantee you get your preference, so please do not to apply for the program if your primary reason for staying in France is outside the language assistants program (ie to be with your partner/friends/family). A lot of work is done to process applications and any candidates who withdraw because they didn’t get the region they wanted will not be considered again.

Can I plan a holiday overseas before the contract begins?
- Please leave any holiday plans until after the end of your contract. Non-European citizens must obtain a visa in Australia before leaving the country. The date of your departure must correspond as closely as possible to the beginning of your activity in France. If you book flights to depart before mid-September and your visa hasn’t arrived by then, the Embassy will not be able to help.

Can I travel around Europe outside my time working as an assistant?
- Yes. During your contract, your visa will allow you to travel within Europe.
In addition to this, Australian citizens have the right to travel as a tourist within Europe for up to 90 days within a 180 -day period. When your visa expires, you must exit the Schengen zone and re-enter as a tourist if you wish to make use of the 90-day visa waiver for Australian citizens.

I can only find one teacher to fill out an appraisal form. What should I do?
- Regarding the fiches d’appreciation, you should seek to have an appraisal filled out by two French teachers. You may notice that it is only compulsory to upload one document – this is to accommodate for students who have only had one teacher for the duration of their French studies. However if you have more than one professor who could recommend you for the program, you must submit both. You can solicit the teacher’s appraisal from any qualified French teacher who knows you well enough to be able to evaluate your current level of French - It can be done by your French teacher from high school, Alliance Française or tutoring service, providing they are a qualified teacher. French - speaking friends cannot complete these appraisals. If you have a DELF certificate you can also submit this as proof in addition to at least one appraisal. If you are still unable to submit something for both of the
fiches d’appreciation, please inform education.canberra-amba@diplomatie.gouv.fr before submitting your application.

When I’m a language assistant, can I have another part-time job?
- No. For more information please see http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid285/bulletin_officiel.html?cid_bo=101887

Can I study while working as an assistant?
- Assistants have a specific visa which doesn’t permit other jobs or activities. You may be able to attend courses at a uni; but without getting a qualification. France Education International’s guide de l’assistant has more info .

I didn’t hear from my French teacher in time to submit my application before the deadline - Can I still apply?
- No. Please ensure you commence the application process as early as possible. Late applications are not accepted.

Can you give me some advice about flights / accommodation / visas / insurance / immigration?
- Information on all the above will be given to successful candidates after their placement decision.
Please note that successful candidates must attend a visa appointment at the Consulate General in Sydney (non-European citizens). For more visa information please visit France Visas

Can my partner join me in France while I participate in the program ?
- Yes, but they will also be subject to visa conditions and we will not be able to offer any extra advice or support for their situation. Please consider that the salary of an assistant is not sufficient to support dependents.

Dernière modification : 01/08/2019

top of the page