The Regional Economic Service
Attached to the French Embassy, the Regional Economic Service operates as an external service of the French Treasury, which network includes the Regional Departments for Enterprises, Competition, Consumption, Labour and Employment, the Regional Economic Services and Economic Services. Economic Services work from abroad, in close relationship with several partners, among which the Coface, France’s Foreign Trade Advisors, local chambers of commerce and industry, the French Business Confederation Medef International as well as authorities and professional federations of the host country.
Its main tasks are to:
- Analyze the economic and financial situation of the country of residence (including foreign trade and investment) and market access regulatory conditions; foster economic and financial cooperation between France and the country of residence.
- Analyze and report on the positions taken by the country of residence in international bodies (G20, G8) and multilateral negotiations (WTO/Doha, regional integration programmes).
- Contribute to the definition of both France and the European Union’s positions on financial and trade related issues in multilateral bodies, through the collection and analysis of information. The Economic Service also relays in the country of residence French positions on financial and trade related issue, within the Community, regional or multilateral framework.
- Coordinate, under the authority of the Ambassador and in the respect of public institutions and other organizations’ (public and private) autonomy, the action of bodies responsible for the promotion of French economic interests and ensure their consistency: notably Business France as part of the assistance to the international development and exports of SMEs, the support to foreign investors in France as well as the promotion of France’s economic image, but also France’s Foreign Trade Advisors, the local chambers of commerce and industry, the French international technical expertise agency etc.
- Support the commercial efforts of French exporting enterprises, in partnership with Business France.
The Regional Economic Service of Canberra
The Economic Service in Canberra is constituted of two local agents, an international volunteer and a French civil servant, all working under the authority of the Head of the Economic Service.
The Regional Economic Service in Canberra monitors the economic and financial situation of Australia (the country is ranked AAA), within its regional environment, as well as the ways to foster bilateral trade and investments. It analyzes and informs of the Australian positions adopted in international fora and in the framework of multilateral negotiations and promotes exchanges between administrations and the business community. It identifies possible barriers for French companies to access the Australian market in order to negotiate their lifting, in coordination with the European authorities and the Business France office in Sydney.
The Regional Economic Service in Canberra also directs the macroeconomic and financial analysis of New-Zealand as well as of the following South Pacific island countries: Fiji, Kiribati, Cook Islands, Mariana Islands, Marshall Islands, Solomon Islands, Federated Stated of Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. It also helps to promote the integration of New Caledonia in its regional environment.
Yarralumla ACT 2600
Tel: (02) 6216 0116
Fax: (02) 6216 0114